Discharge Information Treatment Centre (EN) Discharge Information Treatment Centre (EN)
Recommendations for follow-up care at home
You have undergone surgery at Isala Treatment Centre. In this leaflet, we give you some advice for the follow-up care at home. During a personal interview, the nurse will encircle the advice that is relevant for you.
- You may shower after 24 hours / 48 hours / three days, short showers and not too hot.
- Do not take a bath / swim, as long as the sutures are still there.
- Showering from the shoulders down / hold a cup on the ear.
- Keep the wound dry for 2 weeks.
- No swimming for the first 6 weeks.
- Dissoluble sutures.
- Sutures are removed during the after-care appointment / by the family doctor, after days.
- Replace the plaster after 24 hours, if necessary, with a clean bandage; once the wound is dry, there is no need to keep a plaster on the wound.
- In the case of oral surgery, the wound can bleed a bit afterwards. Fold a piece of gauze and bite on it firmly for 30 minutes. Do not rinse and do not use cotton wool.
- Starting the day after the procedure: rinse the mouth four times daily with salt water. For this, dissolve a teaspoon of salt in a cup of lukewarm water. Sometimes, an oral rinse will be prescribed.
- Remove pressure bandage after days / leave it on until follow-up appointment.
- After the surgery, support the wound area during an increase in pressure, such as defecating and coughing, either with your hand or a support cushion.
- Please take into account a blue discolouration and possible slight swelling in the wound area and scrotum / labia majora.
- The operation can cause your cheek or lip to swell up considerably. This is a normal phenomenon.
- Take Paracetamol: 4 x daily 1000 mg. at fixed times (7am-12 noon-5pm-10pm). Once you have no more pain, you should stop taking the Paracetamol.
- If not sufficiently effective: Paracetamol 1000 mg. in combination with 1 tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg. (Up to 4 times daily). This combination may be used for up to three days. Ibuprofen should not be used in combination with Diclofenac (Voltaren) or Arcoxia.
- According to prescription.
- Your own pain medication.
Blood thinning medications
- Ascal / Acetosal: resume the day after surgery.
- Acenocoumarol (Sintrommitis), Phenprocoumon (Marcoumar): restart according to specifications of thrombosis service.
- no restrictions;
- high fibre;
- follow guidelines as described on attached list;
- after dairy products, rinse with cold water (in connection with mucus formation);
- extend dietary intake as guided by symptoms. Not too hot and go from liquids to solid foods.
Moving around (mobilisation)
- Basically, no restrictions.
- Weight-bearing based on the pain level.
- For effective wound healing, take care with surgical field.
- For the first 3 days, place the affected hand / foot up high on a cushion, should not pinch. After three days, depending on the pain, let the hand/foot hang down a bit more.
- Use a sling for day/days.
- Weight-bearing using crutches forday/days.
- Mobilise as directed by the physical therapist.
- Wear a good, supportive bra after surgery, keep bra on during the first night/for weeks wear 24 hours/day
- No under-wire bra
- Immobilise according to instructions.
- In case of shoulder repair surgery:
- Arm may be taken out of immobiliser for showering and dressing.
Do not lift arm and do not turn outwards.
Arm is allowed to swing.
- No heavy lifting for weeks.
- Mobilise using postoperative orthopaedic shoe for weeks
- Limit lifting of arms
- Other recommendations
You should contact:
- in case of haemorrhaging;
- in case of fever above 38.5º Celsius;
- in case of severe, abnormal pain;
- if you do not trust the situation.
For complications as a result of the procedure, please call the outpatient clinic of your specialist during office hours. For complications as a result of the procedure, please contact -outside office hours- the Isala reception desk and they will connect you to the Emergency Department. This can be reached at 088 624 50 00.
- General surgery 088 624 62 95
- Plastic surgery 088 624 56 36
- Ear, nose and throat surgery 088 624 23 84
- Orthopaedics 088 624 56 56
- Oral surgery 088 624 28 81
The employees of the Isala Treatment Centre wish you a speedy recovery.