Prior to outpatient procedures (EN) Prior to outpatient procedures (EN)
Vooraf aan een poliklinische ingreep
You will be undergoing an outpatient procedure (minor surgery) in the Department of Orthopedics or Surgery in the near future. Outpatient procedures are performed under local anesthesia. A number of points for attention are listed below.
O Date of procedure:
O Time of procedure:
O Duration of the procedure:
O If you use blood thinners: Your doctor will have informed you whether you need to stop taking them and, if so, how many days you must stop before the procedure.
- The procedure will be performed under local anesthesia. Therefore you may eat and drink as usual prior to the procedure.
- Because of the anesthesia, we advise against driving yourself home after the procedure. So please make sure that you have arranged a ride home beforehand.
- You may not wear any jewelry during the outpatient procedure. This includes wedding rings.
After the procedure
- The anesthetic usually wears off after two to three hours, but this can vary from person to person.
- After the procedure, you will receive instructions on how long your bandages must remain in place.
- You will also be told when you can visit your general practitioner to have your stitches removed, if applicable.
- If necessary, you will receive a date for a follow-up appointment.
- As mentioned above, because of the anesthesia, we advise against driving yourself home. We therefore urgently advise you to bring someone along to accompany you.
If a piece of tissue is removed during the procedure, this will be sent to the laboratory for further examination. You will be given a telephone appointment for the results of the tissue examination.
For questions, please call the department of Orthopedics or Surgery at (038) 424 75 80.
Outside office hours (after 17:00), and at weekends or on public holidays, please contact the Central Reception Desk of Isala at (038) 424 50 00.
If you are unable to attend your appointment, please cancel it at least 48 hours in advance. This way we can help another patient in your place. Missed appointments may be charged.